GUWAHATI: Investigators of the Dholpur incident in Assam‘s Darrang district, where two civilians were killed in police firing during an eviction drive in September, held a public hearing on Sunday in Sipajhar to record statements of eyewitnesses or individuals and organisations on the incident.
The district development commissioner, Subhalaxmi Deka, who is the investigation officer, said no individual or organisation had gone to give a verbal statement or submitted a written statement on the incident before the authorities on Sunday.
“The hearing will be held on Monday also. Eyewitnesses or individuals or organisations may come forward on Monday to record statements,” she said.
Saying that the inquiry is on the last leg, Deka said the report of the investigation will be submitted to the concerned authority in one month. “We have already collected reports from other departments and recorded statements of the various parties. The investigation will be over once we complete the public hearing,” she added.
Darrang deputy commissioner Prabhati Thaosen had on October 28 ordered a magisterial inquiry into the death of the two civilians, including a 12-year-old child in police firing at Dholpur on September 23 when the villagers attacked the police and the officials of the district administration during the eviction.
The state government evicted around 800 families at Dholpur in the district Darrang district for a huge agriculture project.
The Assam government has submitted before Gauhati high court that families evicted from Dholpur area in Darrang district in September last year are not erosion-affected migrants as claimed in a PIL but “encroachers,” who are not eligible for rehabilitation under the state rehabilitation policy of 2020.





Source link